Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Children Being Children- Were You??




As children me and my 2 brothers had to adhere to some strict rules and barriers to ensure we always remembered we were children. At the time it was frustrating, particularly since all our friends did not have the same restrictions. But eventually I grew to understand the reason and effectiveness of my parents' actions.



This may seem really innocuous, but we were not allowed to watch GOLDEN GIRLS, DYNASTY, FALCON CREST, COMING TO AMERICA (or any Eddie Murphy of that era) and even now I have never seen one episode of BENNY HILL!! Not even Kunta Kinte was allowed..LOL! because of the nakedness. I think they balanced it will allowing us to watch a few episodes of FALCON CREST or ARE YOU BEING SERVED, but just didn't want us to get carried away.



At school of course everyone was raving about last night's drama or the jokes in UNDA MI NOSE (roots play)... I felt left out!



In conversation we had to recognize that certain words were not 'children's words' like 'sexy' and 'backside', 'rahtid' and 'damn'. I did get an ass-whooping for referring to my brother who had just beat me up as "that damn bwoy"...bigggggggggg mistake..big big big mistake!!!



As a child I could not wear anything short, tight, two-pieced nor sexy (of course on the strike of age 20 I was in the skimpiest of outfits... sorry mom!) But before that I appreciated that I was a child and enjoyed my childhood to the fullest.



I was never over-protected nor sheltered since I was involved in various organizations and leadership groups. But I loved being a child and a teenager... I never skipped a stage.

This is vastly different from the kids nowadays. They are not allowed to enjoy thier childhood because of sex, peer pressure, smoking, drinking, parties....



...parents who want to be called by their first names to not feel too old, parents who want to act like a friend rather than a parent, parents unwilling to switch the channel to cartoons because they don't want to miss DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.



Were you allowed to be a child? Did you have a childhood full of innocent memories? How will you raise your child?


Let me know your thoughts!



Paula Yee Sing-Edwards
YaadNoyz Production LLC
www.myspace.com/yaadnoyz

0 comments: