Monday, January 28, 2008

Morals vs Society... ahhmmm...Does majority rule?

Hey peoplesssssssss,


Hope you all had a restful, refreshing weekend and I wish for you a most productive week. I have a topic on morals vs. society. This debate had me and my hubby arguing at length (mildly put...since I am NOT the sweetest person during an argument). But just for the record, I often play devil's advocate in our 'debates', picking any side that opposes his stance, just for the sake of arguement .


This time, however, I was really rrrrrrrrrr...although I can argue the opposite side in the right situation. It is one of those topics that is all shades of gray-kinda-ish, but should be black and white...-ish.


here we go:

The moral decay seen in todays youth stems from society accepting things that were once considered 'inappropriate' as 'normal' today.


For example... referring to a female as a BITCH. Now the young adults and teens use it to describe a close friend who has their back ("dats ma bitch", or "come on bitch"...all bring forth smiles nowadays)-


OR


A man (boy / dude) will refer to his lady as his 'ho' and even scarier, the ladies are boasting to friends that "I'm his ho" to indicate the depth of their committment.


These are NOT acceptable terms to me AT ALL, but there are those (ROGER) who argue that once the word is accepted to mean something positive, then it should no longer be considered derrogatory terms...The 'majority' determines the context and definition.


Of course I will always have to counter with: "so when we have a DAUGHTER, we should know when her boyfriend refers to her as his bitch and ho we should reply with " that's sooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeet...awwwwwwwwwwwwww...welcome to the family"!!!"


Hmm... I know it is people and society who determine wrong and right morally... but where is the line drawn? When is WRONG just wrong and RIGHT just right, regardless?


The debate went deeper... a person exposed to killings for anything, seeing abuse and murder who grows up to shoot a person for stepping on his toe...Does he think he did something wrong? If he didn't think it wrong, should he be punished at the same level as soemone who is aware of wrong-doing?


I know... it's a heavy issue with lots of angles. The fact is, any arguement you make, you YOURSELF can counter it! I would love to hear...ahmmm... read your thoughts on morality vs the society.



Nuff Love,

Paula Yee Sing-Edwards
Artiste Development

www.myspace.com/yaadnoyz


YaadNoyz Production LLC
YaadNoyz Magazine (seeking contributors in Jamaica)

www.myspace.com/paulayeesing

0 comments: